Finaleee

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Dammit. OK

I, of course, feel the need to qualify that last post. It wasnt all skunk shit back home and it aint all golden roses here.

The last night in Tallahassee, I got anxious. For days before, I couldnt wait to leave. Suddenly I wanted to be near my family and friends, I wasnt sure if California was the right decision. I asked my sister (mi Tita!) if going to school for poetry was "stupid." At that moment, I really wasnt sure. She answered like only she could, fortifying me. I felt her honesty, her belief in me. And I was healed.

I cannot recreate that connection, and I would not trade it for anything I might find. So though this path carries me from the source of family I've gathered around me, and the lights are brighter out here, the opportunities wider, my step a bit more energetic, and though I cant hide my excitement at actually having left, there are gifts I treasure and expect to keep.

It's me back there that I dont miss. I brought it here too - first chance I got, took up someone else's problem and filled my days with it. The round trip and the soul connections got me back on track. So in this new year, I make them proud. I begin the me they sent me off to be; and since I carry them with me, I dont have to look back.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Michelle Puckett said…

    right on, shel. good things to consider. xo.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Meg Day said…

    i know this feeling all too well. couldn't have said it better. keep writing, please? xo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home